No Products in the Cart
We caught up with Professional Surfer, Artist and Conservationist Flick Palmateer at Bondi Beach.
Flick Palmateer's deep love of the ocean filters across in many different mediums, most prominently through her surf riding which has gained her a spot on the world circuit as a pro surfer. Flick is also an advocate for environmental issues and conservation, where saving sharks in the Galapagos Islands are among the issues she tackles. When she is not in the water, she is painting unique art pieces inspired by the deep blue.
A local of sea side towns Margaret River and now Burleigh heads, Flick give us the insider tips on the best places to get zucchini chips and a glass of white to wash it down with.
Professional Surfer, Artist and Conservationist.
2. WHERE DID YOU GROW UP AND WHERE DO YOU CURRENTLY CALL HOME?
I grew up in Margaret River, Western Australia but currently call Burleigh Heads on Queensland's Gold Coast ‘home'
3. MARGARET RIVER SEEMS TO BE THE MECCA OF BREEDING PROMINENT SURFERS, WHAT WAS IT LIKE GROWING UP WITH THE LOCAL SURF COMMUNITY THERE?
There is a long history of famous surfers coming out of Margaret River and the lineup is really challenging. The older surfers demand respect, there’s a pecking order and you have to wait your turn - but if you do get a good wave come your way, you have to go! The older surfers don’t like seeing good waves wasted! It’s a challenging break but it’s good because it works in lots of different conditions - big and small.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE LOCAL SURF BREAK BACK HOME AND WHAT’S APPEALING ABOUT IT TO YOU?
'Lefthanders', because it’s such a perfect, ripple wave. It’s a goofy-footer’s dream! It’s a bit of a walk so you can get it uncrowded sometimes too.
5. ANY LOCAL TIPS ON WINERIES THERE AND WHAT’S YOUR WINE OF CHOICE?
My favourite winery is Leeuwin Estate. The white wines are amazing and the property is beautiful. If you’re in Margaret River in April then Cape Mentelle where I’m having my second art exhibition!
6. IN THE CURRENT PLACE YOU CALL HOME, WHERE IS THE BEST SPOT TO GET A POST SURF BREAKFAST AND WHAT SHOULD AN OUT OF TOWNER ORDER FROM THE MENU?
If you want coffee, try “Nook” right on the point at Burleigh heads. if you want a juice, try the little fruit and veg shop at the bottom of James Street. If you want a tasty breakfast try “Canteen”, they do middle eastern inspired food. Yummy!
7. WHAT IS THE BEST HIDDEN LOCAL GEM E.G. CLOTHING SHOP, ANTIQUE STORE, PARK IN YOUR LOCAL AREA YOU LIVE AND WHY IS IT SO GREAT?
Burleigh headland is amazing! It’s officially the smallest National Park in Australia, has amazing views of the entire Gold Coast (you can check the surf from up there!) and the walking track through the rainforest is the perfect way to get some exercise!
8. WHAT IS YOUR IDEAL NIGHT OUT? (NAME A FEW LOCAL HAUNTS YOU VISIT AND BEST THINGS ON THE MENU, DRINK/FOOD/DESERT OF CHOICE ETC)
I love eating great food at great restaurants. “Hellenika” is fantastic greek restaurant near Nobby’s Beach and I always order the zucchini chips, no matter what. “The Fish House” is local to Burleigh point. I always look to eat sustainably caught fish! I hoe and prey the Patagonian tooth fish is in that category!
9. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE LOCAL SUPPLY FRAMES AND WOULD YOU WEAR THEM IN THE GREEN ROOM?
Everyday Black on black. No! I wouldn’t wear them in the surf - I might lose them.
10. CAN YOU TELL US ANYTHING THAT YOU'RE EXCITED ABOUT AT THE MOMENT?
My upcoming art exhibits! Loco Project - Bondi Beach 2nd - 6th April. My solo exhibit at Cape Mentelle winery, Margaret River 16th - 20th April and competing in the Margaret River Pro beginning 15th April!
Photography by Will Braden